The signs of expat exhaustion.
- Staring at an open fridge, zoning out long enough for the open door sensor to beep only to forget if you are looking for the crumpets or VB beer.
- Realizing that your daughter’s cute new accent has become extremely annoying.
- Mistakenly throwing Legos (one of the few toys we shipped from the US) in the rubbish.
- Blindly thinking you could manage a swim with 2 small children, only to remind yourself to NEVER do that again.
- Trying to befriend the right people, the right mums and then thinking if you are also, the right mum to befriend.
- While playing cars on the rug you teach your son to drive on the left side of the road, get confused and abandon the activity.
- Shouting your American accent from the rooftops instead of avoiding speech in public.
- Taking on a full Aussie accent when playing with your daughter and her Aussie friends.
- Trying to find and experience the best vacations, the best cafes, the best beaches, the best experiences for children and the best of the rest before wondering if this is the wrong way to go about this expat thing.
- Falling asleep before your head hits the pillow only to wake up and complete the same daily expat cycle again… and again.
Just 3 1/2 months and I am exhausted.
Over the next 2 weeks of school holidays we are going to sit back and cruise this yellow brick road, hoping to simply absorb the land of Oz, instead of tackling the Tin Man to the ground in excitement.